SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 5
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Summary of the School Board Meeting Held on July 18, 2017
NOT OFFICIAL MINUTES
- At 5:03 p.m. President
Bielski convened the regular meeting of the Aberdeen School Board in the Community
Room at Aberdeen High School. Members present were
Jennifer Durney, Erin Farrer, Jeff Nelson and Jamie Walsh and along with
Superintendent Alicia Henderson and 10 patrons and staff.
- The Board approved the Consent Agenda,
which included the minutes from the special meeting on June 2 and the regular
meeting on June 20, 2017; June payroll totaling $2,358,579.66; General Fund
vouchers totaling $72,785.78; ASB Fund vouchers totaling $34,008.47; Private
Purpose Trust Fund vouchers totaling $613.47 and a Capital Projects Fund
voucher in the amount of $1,418.71; a request from the yearbook staff at
Aberdeen High School to travel to Salem, Ore., for yearbook camp at Willamette
University on August 1-3; and accepted a grant from the Grays Harbor Community
Foundation in the amount of $20,000 in support of the Twin Harbors Skills
Center Medical Assistant Program.
- The oath of office was administered to
Jennifer Durney who was then seated in Position 1.
- Director Erin Farrer was elected vice president.
- Superintendent Henderson introduced
Jamie Dunn, new assistant principal at Stevens Elementary School, and Traci
Sandstrom, the new teaching and learning director for the district.
- Superintendent Henderson shared
information about the AVID conference that she attended July 7-10 with staff
from throughout the district.
- Superintendent Henderson shared
information about upcoming events in August, including the administrative retreat
and professional development for teachers. She invited Board members to join
the welcome back presentation for staff on August 29 and noted the first day of
school is August 30.
- Following an update from Superintendent
Henderson on the construction projects at Stewart Field, the Board voted to add
new lighting and light poles for the north side of the field to the project.
- Superintendent Henderson shared news of
the death of a staff member’s son in a vehicle accident.
- Teaching and Learning Director Traci
Sandstrom presented the Teaching and Learning Report for June.
- Finance Director Elyssa Louderback and
Superintendent Henderson discussed the budget preparation and adoption process.
The board scheduled a special meeting for 5 p.m. Monday, July 31, to review the
budget prior to a planned adoption at the regular meeting on Tuesday, August
- Finance Director Elyssa Louderback presented the Fiscal
Status Report for June.
- The Board adopted Resolution 2017-07 delegating warrant
authority to Superintendent Alicia B. Henderson.
- The Board adopted Resolution 2017-08 naming Superintendent
Alicia B. Henderson as an auditing officer for the District.
- The Board declared as surplus equipment no longer needed in
the print shop at Aberdeen High School.
- The Board approved a contract with the YMCA of Grays Harbor
for the swim instruction and swim team programs in 2017-2018.
- The Board approved a contract with Grays Harbor County for
the 2017-2018 programs at the Detention Center.
- The Board approved a Special Services contract with the
Washington State School for the Blind for services during the 2017-2018 school
- The next regular meeting of the Board
is set for 5 p.m. Tuesday, August 15, in the Community Room at Aberdeen High
- A special meeting for review and
discussion of the proposed 2017-2018 budget is scheduled for 5 p.m. Monday,
July 31, in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
- Following an executive session, the Board approved personnel
- The Board met with Colleen Miller of WSSDA and Patty Wood of
the State Board of Education for review of Board/Superintendent governance,
roles, responsibilities and communication.