About Our School
Our school was built and finished on January 26, 1914. In the new school 141 students enrolled. It was called Samuel Benn School, after Aberdeen's oldest pioneer. In 1917 the name of the school was changed to A. J. West School after another pioneer of Aberdeen, Arnold J. West.
In 1953 the building that is used now for first, second, third, and fourth grade was finished. The two buildings were remodeled in 1995. They remodeled the classrooms, gymnasium, office and halls. Carpet was added, TVs, lockers, and phones were put in, and the library was made much bigger.
A.J. West students may participate in the after-school program that offers students homework help and activities. Students may also participate in activities such as basketball and ASB. AJ West utilizes Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) to create and maintain a safe and secure learning environment.