“Home of the Huskies, The Pride of the Southside”
Arnie Lewis – Principal Josie Micheau – Office Manager
August 8, 2019
Hello and Welcome Back Stevens Families:
We are so excited to get this year started. So much to learn, so far to grow. Thank you for trusting us with the education of your children. We take our job very seriously and strive to meet your expectations of a high-quality education. I have a few changes to tell you about and some information about upcoming dates and events. It is so important to me that we communicate effectively with all our families. Please share with me how we can improve our communication with you. Parents are an important resource to us.
First some new faces at Stevens. We have one new teacher, a new counselor, a new special education teacher and several teachers who have changed grade levels. Also, Stevens will not have an assistant principal this year. Our new teacher is Margie Hoffman in 5th grade who comes to us from Eatonville, Washington. She has many years of classroom experience. We look forward to added her expertise to our staff. Our new counselor is Jenny Sturgill, formerly at AJ West Elementary. Jenny is a Stevens alum who is excited to be back on the Southside. Our special education staff will be supported by Monica Shay who also works with McDermoth Elementary. We are stronger than ever and ready to provide the rich educational experience you have come to expect from Stevens.
Huge emphasis on Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) this year as we reinforce the best practices to support all students in positive behavior choices. At Stevens, we want to teach students to care about learning and care about each other. You will hear me talk about Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) this year. This approach allows us to effectively integrate our efforts in social and emotional learning with our academic goals to enhance our service to every child to meet her or his maximum potential.
We all look forward to meeting you at our open house. Below are some important dates, our daily schedule and our contact information. The office is open to serve you during regular school hours until school begins and I am around much of the time to help with any questions or concerns you may have.
We look forward to a great school year with all of our families. Education is the key ingredient to a rich, fulfilling life. You child is a top priority to us at Stevens. We will work with you every day to provide strong instruction, caring support and open communication to make
- August 26 – Open House from 6:00-7:00
- August 28 – First Day of School for 1stthrough 5th grade
- August 28-30 - Kindergarten Slow Start
- September 3 – Labor Day Holiday (No School)
- September 2 – First full day for Kinders
- September 25 – Early release for Teacher Collaboration
- October 1 – School Picture Day (Everyone Smile)
- 8:30 Playground gates open supervision available
- 8:30 Doors Open for Breakfast
- 8:45 AM Preschool Begins
- 8:55 School begins for K-5
- 10:15-10:25 2nd and 3rd Grade Recess
- 10:30-10:40 Kindergarten and 1st Grade Recess
- 10:45-10:55 4th and 5th Grade Recess
- 11:45 AM Preschool Ends
- 11:30-12:00 Kindergarten and 1st grade Lunch and Recess
- 12:00-12:30 2nd and 3rd Grade Lunch and Recess
- 12:30-1:00 4th and 5th Grade Lunch and Recess
- 12:30 PM Preschool Begins
- 1:30-1:40 K-1 Afternoon Brain Break Recess
- 1:45-1:55 2nd and 3rd Grade Afternoon Brain Break Recess
- 2:00-2:10 4th and 5th Afternoon Brain Break Recess
- 3:00 K-2 School Ends
- 3:25 3-6 School Ends
- 3:30 PM Preschool Ends
The main office is open from 7:30-4:00 on all regular school days. Our phone number is 538-2150. If you need to get a message to a student, please call the office and someone will deliver your message quickly. Interpreter services are available on site with Yesinia Barragan. Always attempt to prearrange absences. If your child is sick call the office at 538-2150 to avoid an unexcused absence.