What Is It?
The ParaPro Assessment measures the skills and knowledge in reading, writing, and math on the part of prospective and practicing paraprofessionals. It also measures their ability to apply those skills and knowledge when assisting in classroom instruction. It was designed to satisfy the requirements of the federally legislated No Child Left Behind Act.
ParaProfessionals must have a high school diploma or its equivalent and meet one of the following three standards:
- Possess an AA or higher degree.
- 72 college credits at 100 level or above.
- Successfully complete the ETS ParaPro Assessment.
Who Takes It?
The test is for prospective and practicing paraprofessionals.
How Long Is It?
Candidates have 2 ½ hours to complete the assessment. On average a candidate is finished within 1 1/2 hours and the rest of the time can be used for review of your answers if desired.
How Much Does It Cost?
The cost is $50.00. Acceptable forms of payment are as follows:
- Cash - Must be exact amount as we do not have change
- Check - All checks should be made payable to Aberdeen School District
What Subjects Are on the Assessment?
Assessed subjects include reading, writing, and math.
What Are the Questions Like?
The assessment has 90 multiple-choice questions, approximately two-thirds of which focus on basic skills and knowledge. The remaining one-third focus on applying skills in the classroom. All test questions are in English. Click HERE for help understanding what the assessment is like.
How Is the Assessment Given?
The assessment is given on a laptop computer supplied by the Aberdeen School District.
How do I Schedule Taking the Assessment?
Contact the Aberdeen School District human resources office at 360-538-2003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule the parapro assessment. Assessments are offered by appointment, Monday through Friday, during normal business hours.
Preparing for the ParaPro Assessment
In an effort to provide a successful testing experience, we've provided the following tips and helpful study information:
- The ETS Website contains valuable information for test takers. An online tutorial familiarizes paraprofessionals with navigating the ETS test and provides sample questions.
- The free, eighteen-question ETS Test at a Glance is also available to review detailed descriptions of the assessment, sample questions, and explanation of answers.
- Read this article if you experience test anxiety.
Official ETS study guides are available for purchase through the ETS web store in paperback or eBook format and are also available at most major book retailers.
- Timberland Public Library has official ETS study guides that can be checked out with a valid library card. The study guide is called Study Guide for the ParaPro Assessment Rev. 2012 (370.76 STUDY-GUIDE 2012).
- Newly hired paraprofessionals and substitutes may contact the Aberdeen School District human resources office at 360-538-2003 to arrange checking out a district copy of the study guide.