EVERY SCHOOL DAY COUNTS – BEING HERE IS THE FIRST STEP TO SUCCESS
Every Time Your Student is Absent from School --
Call the Miller Junior High attendance office at 538-2100, 24 hours a day. It is the parent or guardian’s responsibility to get his or her child to school every day on time and to notify the school within 48 hours of a school absence. Absences not reported within 48 hours will be considered unexcused.
You may send a note, doctor’s note, or other required documentation with your student within 48 hours of returning to school also. If the school does not hear from you, attendance letters and attendance calls may go out from the school.
If you know that your student will miss school for an appointment, vacation, other prearranged purpose, fill out the Pre-Excused Absence Form available on our website or in the school office.
The Aberdeen School District wants every student to succeed. Attendance policies are intended to support families and increase our accountability. We are here to help in any way we can. If you have any questions please contact us here at school.The following are examples of EXCUSED ABSENCES:
- Participation in a district or school-approved activity or instructional program
- Illness, health condition or medical appointment (including, but not limited to, medical, counseling, chemical dependency, pregnancy, dental or optometry)
- Family emergency, including, but not limited to, a death or illness in the family
- Religious or cultural purpose including observance of a religious or cultural holiday
- Court, judicial proceeding or serving on a jury (or other court ordered activities)
- State-recognized search and rescue activities consistent with RCW 28A.225.055
- Absence directly related to the student’s homeless status, foster care status, and other dependency issues
- Absences due to migrant status
- Absences due to safety concerns including bullying
- Absence resulting from a disciplinary/corrective action. (e.g., short-term or long-term suspension, emergency expulsion)
- Principal and parent, guardian, or emancipated youth mutually agreed upon approved activity. The school principal has the authority to determine if an absence meets the above criteria for an excused absence
The following are some examples of an UNEXCUSED ABSENCE
- Truancy (Skipping)
- Missed Ride
- Missed or suspended from bus
- Non preapproved non-emergency events
- Failure to bring required doctor’s note
- Babysitting a sibling or others
- All other absences that are not covered as excused absences will be considered unexcused
The Principal reserves the authority to excuse absences on a case-by-case basis.