Budget Advisory Committee
The Aberdeen School District is taking measures to respond to the complex financial puzzle resulting from the new state funding model. Our Budget Advisory Committee has been formed to provide broad-based input from our community to establish district priorities for short and long-term planning.
Purpose and Scope: The Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) provides a structure for the involvement by a variety of district and community members with unique knowledge and skills to offer in establishing budget priorities for ASD5. This committee is advisory, and supports the Superintendent in providing recommendations and key information to the board of directors regarding both short and long-term financial management that support the mission and priorities of the District.
- Develop an understanding of the District’s budget and financial issues
- Provide input on local priorities and, as needed, develop recommendations on fiscal and program priorities that ensure a balanced budget
- Contribute to improved communication to enhance understanding of the District’s budget and financial condition
- Contribute to and support a transparent and collaborative budgeting process
Committee Representation: The BAC is comprised of community members, parents, and staff to include representation of union leadership from all employee groups.
Desired expertise on Committee: Elementary education, secondary education, budgeting, operations, construction & bonds, health and safety. Preference for Aberdeen residents or business owners.
All meetings are to the public
The BAC is a standing committee that meets 3-4 times each year, with additional meetings to be convened if needed.
The schedule for 2019-20:
- September 25, 2019 5:30pm - 8:00pm, AHS Community Room
- November 6, 2019 5:30pm - 8:00pm, AHS Community Room
- January 28, 2020 5:30pm - 8:00pm, AHS Community Room
- March 25, 2020 5:30pm - 8:00pm, AHS Community Room
History: The BAC was formed in the Fall of 2018, and met in October, November, December and January to address the challenges resulting from the new state funding model. Recommendations were developed for the January 2019 Board meeting.