The Aberdeen School District is forming a Discipline Committee, comprised of a partnership of all levels of district staff and community, to address the new laws and rules adopted for student discipline in Washington. School districts are required to develop policies and procedures (ASD5 Policy 3200) from the enacted laws and rules of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC) regarding student discipline.
Purpose and Scope: The Discipline Committee will focus on rethinking current practices in student discipline that lead to classroom exclusion for students, which include in-school/out-of-school suspensions and expulsions. The redesign of how to handle student discipline should include the restorative justice framework along with incorporating the district focus of PBIS. The Discipline Committee will evaluate the implementation for the 2018-2019 school year as well as develop and prepare a revised ASD5 Policy 3200 for School Board approval for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Develop an understanding of the new laws and rules from RCW’s and WAC’s regarding student discipline.
- Develop an understanding of the restorative justice framework, along with PBIS, and how they can be incorporated into the redesign for implementation of student discipline.
- Develop a vertical alignment of the new discipline that is consistent from school to school as a student progresses through the district and also adheres to the current laws concerning student discipline.
- Prepare a revision to ASD5 Policy 3200, regarding school discipline, which complies with the new laws at the appropriate elementary and secondary levels.
- Present to the Aberdeen School Board the revision of ASD5 Policy 3200 regarding student discipline requiring approval for the 2019-2020 school year.
Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - Announce Formation of the Discipline Committee
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - Application Process Open
Monday, January 14, 2019 - Application Deadline
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - Selected Members Notified
All meetings are from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. in AHS Community Room
Tuesday, January 29, 2019
Thursday, February 21, 2019
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Proposed School Board Presentation:
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Washington State recently enacted new rules for school discipline.
A general list of the new rules:
General Discipline (WAC 392-400-235, 392-400-240, 392-400-265, 392-400-250)
Long Term Suspension (WAC 392-400-260, 392-400-265, 392-400-270)
Expulsion (WAC 392-400-275, 392-400-280, 392-400-285)
Emergency Expulsion (WAC 392-400-295, 392-400-300, 392-400-305)
Appeal of Suspension (WAC 392-400-310, 392-400-315, 392-400-317, 392-400-320)
Classroom Exclusion (WAC 392-400-330, 392-400-335)
Appeal for Extension of Expulsion (WAC 392-400-410)
Education Services during Suspension, Expulsion (WAC 392-400-610)
Reengagement after a Suspension (WAC 392-400-710)
Due Process Protections (WAC 392-400-805, 392-400-810, 392-400-820, 392-400-825