Welcome to the 21-22 School Year!
August 19 HLC Office Opens
Sept 1 First Day of School- Smart Start Conferences and Orientation
Sept 2 Classes begin
Sept 6 Labor Day- NO SCHOOL
Sept 22 Early Dismissal for District wide Collaboration
We are so excited to open full time as the Harbor Learning Center, HLC. This school building will now house:
- Aberdeen Schools Therapy Office
- Promises Private Day Care and Preschool
- Aberdeen School District Hopkins Preschool
- Snug Harbor, Aberdeen School District’s Teen Parenting Program
- Grays Harbor Academy, Aberdeen School District’s On Line/Virtual K-12 School
- Open Doors/GED Program
- Harbor Junior/Senior High School
This year will be the FIRST year that Junior High has been included in our district's alternative school. This includes Grade 7 and 8. Our mission is to provide a smaller, more personalized/individualized learning environment for some of our district's 7th and 8th graders. Our district's junior high, Miller Junior High, is an amazing, vibrant school! However, it's large size (750-800 students) can be an active and energetic place that might not be the optimum learning environment for some of our district's youth. Let us know if someone in your family is interested in applying for the junior high component of Harbor Junior Senior High!
We are returning to a FULL DAY of SEVEN class periods here! Attached is our 21-22 Bell Schedule.
With expanded programs and a full day, come new staff members. Meet our new HLC staff:
Lisa Griebel, Principal
Kasi Turner, Counselor
Amy Rasler, School Secretary
Larry Fleming, PE and Art
Cordell Trusty- Social Studies and Grays Harbor Academy Support
Charles Stover- Junior High Teacher
Emma Wimberley- MTSS Paraeducator
Ruperto Ruiz Garcia- Student Family Support Assistant
We are also in the process of hiring more support for our Teen Parenting program and more support for our OPEN DOORS/GED students.
COVID Safety 21-22
While we are excited to reopen full time, five days a week, COVID has NOT gone away. We still have many safety protocols. Like last year, we expect the safety protocols to change frequently as knowledge of the virus changes and state policies and guidelines change. Currently, the safety precautions include:
- Wearing an approved mask in the correct way while inside a school
- Washing hands frequently or using hand sanitizer
- Maintaining 3 feet of distance between students and 6 feet between a students and staff members
- Refraining from sharing any food or beverages
- Using the bottle filling station and a water bottle (water fountain is not turned on)
- Staying home when sick
- Quarantining if necessary when exposed to someone with COVID or if you have COVID
On line Updating of Student Information
All families in the Aberdeen School District are expected to use Skyward before school starts to update their student’s information and fill out required back to school paperwork.
Smart Start Conferences
The Harbor Learning Center starts on September 1st with Orientation and a Smart Start Conference with a student’s advisory teacher. Orientation will include :
- Check out a district chromebook/laptop
- Pick up school supplies
- Learn about school breakfast and lunch (all students receive free breakfast and lunch!)
- Review updated COVID safety guidelines
- Review Campus/school expectations
- Meet new staff members
- Complete, if needed, the on line Back to School Paperwork
- Get any and all questions about the year answered!
HLC staff WILL be contacting each student to schedule a Smart Start Conference and Orientation time. Some returning students WILL have a new advisory teacher since we have added additional staff to the Harbor Learning Center. A parent/guardian CAN attend Orientation/Smart Start Conference IF following the required building safety guidelines.
HLC Main Office- ReOpened August 19!
The HLC Office Service Window is open Monday- Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. You can also call the main office at (360) 538-2180. A secure drop box is available for after hours drop off of materials. Most “business” will be conducted through our HLC service window.
There will be limited access to the building for parents/guardians/visitors. If entering the building, parents/guardians/visitors must comply with all COVID safety guidelines including: attesting that they are COVID symptom free, wearing a mask correctly at all times, signing in on the contact tracing binder, washing hands or using a hand sanitizer, and maintaining social distance of 6 feet from staff and students.