•  

    Stevens Elementary sits on 5.6 acres in South Aberdeen at 301 South Farragut Street. Originally built to house 360 students, the building was updated in 1974 and again in 1976 when they added the gym and library. Stevens now houses 550 students. Stevens is the largest elementary school in Grays Harbor and the third largest public school in Grays Harbor county.

    Stevens Elementary is one of five K-6 elementary schools in the Aberdeen School District and one of three public schools in Aberdeen to house a preschool program.  Originally built in 1954 by Ralph Chisholm Construction Company from Bellingham, Washington and designed by architects, J.P. Jones and L.W. Bindon* of Seattle, Washington. Billy Leroy was the president of the Stevens student body and Roy Simmons was the principal on dedication day, Tuesday September 28th 1954. The dedication address was given by State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Pearl A. Wanamaker. The Reverends W. Wilder of the Aberdeen First Methodist Church and James F. Moore of the Aberdeen Presbyterian Church were on hand to provide a dedication prayer. The Stevens Cub Scouts presented the flag for Stevens and led everyone in the Pledge of Allegiance.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    *Interesting side note about the architects, J.P. Jones and Leonard William Bindon were responsible for the design of several significant historical building in Seattle including the original Pacific Telephone and Telephone and Telegraph Company located on the corner of Stewart and Terry. They were also responsible for the original design of the Student Union Building of the campus of the University of Washington and several other buildings on the site. Bindon wrote, “The History of the Development of the Present Campus Plan for the University of Washington” in 1940. This document served for many years as the planning document for construction and expansion of the University of Washington. {ref)