ABERDEEN SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 5
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A Summary of the School Board Meeting Held on October 17, 2017
NOT OFFICIAL MINUTES
- At 5:00 p.m. President Bielski convened the regular meeting of the Aberdeen School Board in the Community Room at Aberdeen High School. Members present were Jennifer Durney, Erin Farrer and Jamie Walsh, along with Superintendent Alicia Henderson and 14 patrons and staff. The meeting began with the Flag salute.
- The Board approved the Consent Agenda, which included the minutes from the regular meeting on October 3, 2017, September payroll vouchers totaling $3,005,472.09; General Fund vouchers totaling $683,687.27; ASB Fund vouchers totaling $19,123.17; Private Purpose Trust Fund vouchers totaling $23,334.31, Capital Projects Fund vouchers totaling $547,193.66 and Transportation Vehicle Fund voucher $63,918.85; approved a trip request for students in the Transitions Class at Aberdeen High School to travel to Astoria, Ore., on November 13, and accepted a gift to the District from Janis Pollen -- a 2001 Toyota Sienna for use in the automotive technology classes at AHS.
- Superintendent Henderson discussed emergency preparedness in the district, including the Great Shakeout drill that took place this week and plans for a district-wide disaster drill that will take place on June 7.
- Superintendent Henderson updated Board members on the five focus areas for 2017-2018 – AVID, PBIS, special education, digital teaching and learning, and English language learners. She noted the upcoming TRI Day on Friday will be devoted to AVID and that the special education team is gathering information from each school and planning a site visit to the Franklin Pierce School District.
- Superintendent Henderson discussed district communications, including plans for a newsletter in November, a town hall meeting on November 14, and plans for a district Facebook page.
- Finance Director Elyssa Louderback presented the Fiscal Status Report for September. She noted that the first QZAB payment was made and that enrollment is trending 100 above budgeted projections.
- The Board approved Resolution 2017-14 adopting the Aberdeen School District Hazard Mitigation Plan, which maintains district eligibility for federal assistance in the event of a disaster.
- The Board authorized the administration to proceed with the purchase of two buses.
- The Board approved the 2017-2018 Carl Perkins Application for funding in support of CTE programs.
- The Board approved the 2017-2018 Highly Capable Plan.
- The Board approved a contract with the Cosmopolis School District to provide technology support.
- The Board approved a contract with Staffrehab of Newport Beach, Calif., for Martha Leibler to provide occupational therapy services in the district.
- The Board approved a contract with the Center for Educational Excellence of Bellevue to conduct a districtwide survey that measures school climate and collects baseline data on the five district initiatives in the District.
- The Board reviewed updates to Policy 5005 Employment Disclosures, Certification, Assurances and Approval and Policy 5630 Volunteers adding a requirement that volunteers undergo annual background checks for first reading.
- Superintendent Henderson reported that she is planning a Town Hall meeting for Tuesday, November 14, and preparing a newsletter that will be distributed in November before the Thanksgiving break.
- The next meeting of the Board is a special meeting set for 3 p.m. Monday, November 20, in the Board Room of the Administration Building to take action on vouchers. The Board canceled the regular meeting planned for November 21 due to a lack of quorum over the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Following an executive session, the Board approved the Personnel Report.
- The Board conducted a work study after the meeting for review and discussion of board governance.